I love going to the movies. I especially love movie popcorn. There is this part of me that has to analyze every movie to determine what the “real” message behind the film is. However, for now I just want to focus on movies about leadership.
There is a huge focus on leadership today. More and more books on leadership are being written on leadership now than ever. I even have a new book on leadership coming out soon. B.A.S.I.C. The Student Leadership Field Manual. Virtually, every high school and university has mandatory leadership classes. I’m totally fine with it, because as a speaker I make my living teaching leadership.
With all the emphasis on leadership I thought it might be fun to list some of my favorite movies about leadership. Some of movies about leadership are more direct and some are less direct, but don’t miss the message in the movie madness.
This list is not in any order of importance. These are films I believe you can and should share with students. Use your own judgement when selecting any of these movies about leadership. Pay close attention to the ratings and your student audience prior to viewing any of these films.
- Pay I Forward – Servant Leadership
- Dead Poets Society – Think for yourself
- Saving Private Ryan – Moral Courage
- Hoosier – Teamwork
- The Devil Wars Prada – Hard work
- Hunger Games x3 – Leadership is a process
- Kung Fu Panda – Friendship
- We Were Soldiers – Selfless Service
- McFarland – Prospective
- The King’s Speech – Reluctant Leadership
- Apollo 13 – Flexibility
- The Passion Of The Christ – Sacrificial Leadership
- Cry, The Beloved Country – Reconciliation (Racial)
- Flight Of The Phoenix – Teamwork
- The Butler – Servant Leadership
- Ender’s Game – Manipulation
- Patch Adams – Servant Leadership
- Moneyball – Innovation
- Captain Phillips – Moral Courage
- Wolf Of Wall Street – Greed
- Taps – Loyalty
- Schindler’s List – Everything Leadership Has
- Unbroken – Moral Courage
- Remember The Titans – Diversity
- Creed – Self Leadership
- The Lion King – Reluctant Leadership
- Forrest Gump – Every Body Can Lead
- Coach Carter – Leaders Are Agents of Change
- Joe Verses The Volcano – Servant Leadership
- Name your favorite leadership movie?